In psychology, the absence of depression does not equal happiness. In other words, the absence of mental illness does not mean mental health. In life, the absence of a diagnosable disease does not equal well-being. This is the problem with women’s health today. How many symptoms do we deal with every day that undermines our well-being—but there is nothing wrong with our lab work and no one can seem to put their finger on a “treatable” problem.
The following list of qualities and factors contribute to positive health in women:
1. Let your body function normally—don’t disrupt your hormonal balance by introducing synthetic hormones into your system
2. Live in a state of natural hormone balance–if your hormones are out of balance—seek treatment that restores balance, not masks symptoms
3. If you are dealing with chronic stress—implement an effective stress management plan that involves changing how you think, in addition to learning to say now and follow a schedule
4. Invest in your close relationships. Doing things for the people you love increases a chemical called oxytocin in your brain. Oxytocin causes all sorts of great health benefits, elevates mood and helps you deal with stress. Look up ways to increase oxytocin in your interactions with others and with your spouse (hug, hold hands, sing, listen attentively, share a mission to help others…)
5. Make sure your appetites for food, money, power, sex and pleasure in general are in balance—meaning, make sure these appetites for pleasure are not driving your decisions and behavior. Letting your appetites dictate what you do cause stress, heartache and unhealthy habits in daily life. Appetites out of balance make you miss the forest for the trees!
The bottom line is that women are in need of a new approach to their health, more information on how to find happiness and how to promote authentic love in their lives. Positive health is a state of well-being that we all desire and deserve!